25 October 2012

Prayer for the Holy Souls | Novena Day 1

Manifold are the sufferings which those blessed souls must endure, but the greatest of all is the reflection that their sins in life are the cause of their present torment.

O Jesus, my Saviour, I have so often deserved to be cast into hell; how great were my sufferings if I were now cast away and obliged to think that I, myself, had caused my damnation! I thank Thee for the patience with which Thou has endured me. My God, I love Thee above all things and I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee because Thou art infinite goodness. I would rather die than offend The again. Grant me the graces of perseverance; have pity on me and at the same time on those blessed souls suffering in purgatory.


O Mary, Mother of God, come to their assistance with thy powerful intercession.

Our Father...
Hail Mary...
O most sweet Jesus, have mercy on them! On Thy spouses have compassion, on these suffering children Thine; make these holy souls partakers of Thy happiness Divine.

This has been extracted from Susan Tassone's "Praying in the PResences of Our Lord for the Holy Souls" and is a novena by St. Alphonsus de Ligouri. Susan's writing on the Holy Souls are all worth purchasing and reading.

No comments: