29 January 2011

LISS Day 16

The Father's search

Genesis 3:7,9 & Romans 3:23-24

Knowing that I'm in such desperate need of Jesus right now, I spent much more time on scripture today because I find such comfort in its Truth and Wisdom. I earnestly search for God through my Bible. The activities of my day meant that I couldn't make an adoration, however much my heart yearned for it... so all my travel time between locations today has been spent on Holy words.
I came across a passage in St. Augustine's Confessions of a Sinner, "it seemed to me all the more right that the authority of Scripture should be respected and accepted with the purest faith, because while all can read it with ease, it also has a deeper meaning in which its great secrets are locked away". Before that, St. Augustine says, "I ought to pay no attention to people who asked me how I could be sure that the Scriptures were delivered to mankind by the Spirit of the one true God who can tell no lie". The 'great secrets' are locked away. I need a key to unlock the great secrets... and the key is none other than the key of David: Christ [Revelation 3:7-8]. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." [John 1:1]. Christ and Scripture are one. So what has this got to do with the Father searching for us?

Well... for me, at this present moment in time, and in what I'm experiencing at the moment, if the heart and/or mind (basically my soul, that also consists of my will and emotions) is not one with the Spirit, then my soul is disconnected from God. Say it is my heart that is disconnected, God searches for my lost heart (soul) - the heart that is not connected with him, because we are all made to be one with Him. The place God searches for us, is our heart - which is part and parcel of the soul (at least this is how I understand it to be... and anybody is welcome to teach/correct me more on this matter). This is very similar in analogy of the Holy Trinity being all 3 persons in One. "And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever." [1 Chron 28:9]. My heart must not become hardened, when I do not have Eucharistic Adoration, or the Sacrifice of the Mass at my fingertips, I must remain open to God through His Scripture and Prayer. I mustn't lock myself up and shut God out. How could I anyway, after the abundant mercy showered upon me over the summer?

Christ was the key that opened up our access to God. That is why "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one can come to the Father, except through me"[John 14:6 - my favourite Gospel passage because it was sent to me from above], and according to the Revelation passage mentioned above, nobody can ever shut out that access to the salvation who is our Christ, other than ourselves.

My Heavenly Father, ever faithful and ever Loving, never allow me to lock my heart away from Your Love. You sustain me, and breathe life into my poor wretched sinful soul. Cleanse me - body, soul and spirit, and heal me in Your own time. Make me love you through prayer and scripture more and more each day, until You are more than just satisfied.

No comments: