15 January 2011

LISS Day 2

Made to be fruitful

So today, LISS asks us to reflect on Genesis 1:27-28 and John 15:5.

'I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.' 

Upon reflection, I remember a workshop that I attended at the vocations expo back in October at Hayes Parish of Immaculate Heart of Mary (where I was baptised... literally!) This is where I met my SD. How wonderful, that Brother Ben of the De La Salle Brothers would run a workshop, and from it bore very special fruit... for me, a great gift that God graced me with in my SD!

The workshop required us to draw a tree. Brother Ben first asked us to draw the ground. Then he asked us to draw the trunk, which represents our physical being. Then we were asked to draw roots, which would represent all the things and the people in our past that have shaped us into this trunk. Granted I was sitting in a workshop that was meant to be full of young people discerning their vocation, I was instead sitting in a workshop full of Sisters!!! I'm going to stop at the description of the tree exercise just there, because in order to accept today's theme of being fruitful, it is so important to me, to accept that without good roots, there will be no fruit!

Thank You heavenly Father, for blessing me abundantly with such a wonderful, loving and selfless family. Without the love of my family, friends, and such a nurturing environment (good soil!) throughout my childhood, I would not have such deep, strong roots to be able to bear good fruit with. What that fruit is, I have still yet to discover... but I trust in You, Lord to guide me in bearing the fruit You wish me to bear. Help me that I may be a good root for others to also bear good fruit.

Never underestimate the power of good soil in which those roots can become strong and steadfast!!!
Silly pun: There's no such thing as froot (fruit) without the root.

No comments: